Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Two completely unrelated thoughts

These two could not be any more unrelated but here they are anyway:
  • On Friday night I sat behind two dads that I hope to never become.  At a high school football game where Derby was getting trounced, these fools were constantly yelling.....at the PLAYERS!!!  These are high school kids, trying as hard as they can.  Sometimes a team is just better than you.  On every play they said something negative about the boys.  Not the officials, not the coaches, the players.  Seriously.  Grow up.  To top it off dad A says "Man, we're getting beat by a 5A school."  To which the brilliant dad B replies "Not just beat but trounced by a 5A team".  These idiots obviously think they know everything but in those comments revealed their ignorance.  Hutchinson is the SIX TIME defending state champions and took the #1 team in Missouri to overtime last week and should have probably won that game.  They are anything but "just a 5A team".  Pathetic.
  • I have been on a weight loss journey for quite some time now.  It started when my wife began running again and that motivated me to get off my butt and do something.  This was 5 years ago before we had any kids.  I didn't do much.  Lost like 5 pounds, thought I was the man and that was about it.  I don't know when it kicked in that I needed to actually do something drastic but it just did and so I started eating less (not anything different, just less), exercised 3 days a week (30 minutes on elliptical) and lost 20 pounds really quick.  After that I kind of hit a plateau, gave up on the whole thing and gained 8 pounds back in about 2.5 months.  Oops.  I picked up again, changed what I ate a little and lost about 20 more pounds, so now I am down a little over 30 and thinking I really am the man.  Again, plateau, quit, gain.  Well, in January of 2008 I finally hit the final push.  I dropped the last 30 pounds I had in mind and was down a cool 60 pounds.  Somewhere along the way I started running.  I hate running.  I don't know what happened.  Well I had fluctuated between 195-200 for quite a while and at beginning of the summer was up over 200 again.  I decided this was just lazy and I wasn't going to be the one to put all the weight back on so I got serious.  I started running again, going about 2 miles every couple days, losing weight slowly but surely.  Somewhere along the way I upped that to 3.1 miles every time I go and now me, the guy who despises running, gets up at 6 to run 4 days a week.  The days I don't go I feel lazy all day and look for ways to do something.  Mostly that involves walking a mile over lunch around our pond behind the office.  Through the course of this I have broken so many barriers it isn't even funny.  Broke 18 mins in a 2 mile run.  Broke 27 minutes for 3 miles.  Actually ran 4.2 miles.  Weighed under 200 pounds.  Today I hit a huge one though.  I broke 190!  I weigh as much now as I did when I was a sophomore in high school!  It hasn't been easy, I know I'm not the fastest or the farthest runner (my wife actually beats me on both counts) but I did it and I'm not done yet.  The best part?  I charted the whole thing in Excel and have a fancy little graph that shows me the big picture instead of week to week which can be depressing.  Once a nerd always a nerd. :)

1 comment:

abby! said...

Yay! I'm so impressed. Maybe this will give me the push I need to get back on track...